Brazilian outback, cowboys preserve their age-old customs, communicating with their cattle in a form of plaintive singing known as Aboio. The chant resounds an improvised, ancient form that is an entrance to the life and the imaginary of the ancient Brazilian cattle drivers.
73min | Brazil | 2005
Direction: Marília Rocha
Executive Producer: Helvécio Marins and Marília Rocha
Producers: Deile Vassalo and José Ferraz
Associated Producers: Camila Groch, Daniel Queiroz e Diana Grebrim
Scriptwriter: Clarissa Campolina and Marília Rocha
Cinematographers: Leandro HBL and Marília Rocha
Editor: Clarissa Campolina
Sound Designer: Bruno do Cavaco
Sound Editing: Bruno do Cavaco and O Grivo
Art Director: Fred Paulino
Music: Cordel do Fogo Encantado, Naná Vasconcelos and O Grivo
• Brazilian theatrical première in 2007, DVD release in 2010, TV exhibition in 2007.
• Best film 10th 10º It’s All True – International Documentary Festival, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
• Best sound track and best sound 9th CinePE, Brazil;
• Best film 10ª Rio de Janeiro International Etnographic Film Festival, Brazil.
• Honour mention at FICA – International Festival of Ambiental Cinema;
• Best photography, editing and soundtrack at Festcinepacoti, Ceará, Brazil.
• Sec-Sated 2008 Award of best direction and best filme, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
• MoMA’s Documentary Fortnight – The Museum of Modern Art (USA)
• 21º Guadalajara International Film Festival (Mexico)
• 41º Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (Czech Republic)
• 9º Rencontres internationales du documentaire de Montréal (Canada)
• 7º Tempo Documentary Festival, Stockholm (Sweden)
• Rencontres Internationales Paris/Berlin (France)
• Les Écrans Documentaires (France)
• Constructing Views: Experimental Film and Video from Brazil – New Museum (New York/USA)
• Contemporary Brazilian Film Festival – Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum (Washington/USA)
• Rio International Festival, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
• 10º It’s All True – International Documentary Festival, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
• 10ª Rio de Janeiro International Etnographic Film Festival (Brazil)
• 10º FAM – Florianópolis Audiovisual Mercosul (Brazil)
• Indie2005 – World Film Festival (Brazil)
• 9ª Tiradentes Film Festival (Brazil)
• 9º CinePE (Brazil)
• FICA – International Festival of Environmental Film and Video (Brazil)
• Visions du Réel: tribute to Marília Rocha, Nyon (Switzerland)
• Musée d’ethnographie de Neuchâtel (Switzerland)
• 6th Dockanema – Documentary Film Festival of Mozambique (Africa)
• Festival Cine//B (Chile)